The UCISA Awards 2024
The UCISA Awards recognise, celebrate and promote the outstanding achievements and innovation of staff working in or supporting technology in UCISA member organisations, and the application of digital solutions which positively transform the experience of students, academics and professional staff.
The 7 categories are:
- CIO/Director of the Year
The UCISA CIO/Director of the Year Award celebrates outstanding contribution by an exemplary leader who demonstrates vision, innovation, transformation and professional excellence. This individual will be a role model not only within their institution but throughout the wider UCISA community.
- Diversity and Inclusion
The Diversity and Inclusion Awards seeks to recognise institutions that can demonstrate a holistic and long-term commitment to diversity and inclusion within your culture. You must be able to highlight your strategy and how it has had a positive impact and is represented through all levels of your organisation and have championed actions to remove barriers and improve the working experience and engagement.
- Outstanding Corporate Member
The UCISA Award for the Outstanding Corporate Member recognises a business that has worked in partnership, delivering exceptional services that have positively impacted an institution or the sector.
- Rising Star
The UCISA Rising Star Award seeks to recognise an emerging leader in digital technology. Demonstrating ongoing technical and creative expertise as well as growth in responsibility and leadership.
- Sustainable Digital Project or Initiative
The UCISA Award for Sustainable Digital Project or Initiative celebrates an innovative activity that not only provides exceptional value to the institution but demonstrates a positive environmental sustainability impact for the future.
- Supporting Excellence in Learning, Teaching and Research
The UCISA Award for Supporting Excellence in Learning, Teaching and Research recognises digital innovations which have had a transformative effect on learning, teaching and research activities. Demonstrating the application of innovation in support of how academics research, teach and students learn.
The UCISA Transformation Award celebrates groundbreaking digital innovation that has transformed and delivered for the institution and beyond. Contributing to improved processes, better student and staff experiences, management of risk and control of costs. Enabling your institution to make exceptional progress in daily activities.
The judging of the awards will look at the project / individual's achievements as a whole, with particular interest in the following criteria. Applicants should address any of the criteria they believe to be applicable or pertinent to their project or entry.
- Supporting each other and inclusivity in leading the development of digital innovation, capabilities and technologies to transform education and research.
- Quantifiable impact – and doing it 'together' / across boundaries. This may be within your organisation, between institutions, with commercial partners or for the sector.
- Stakeholder Engagement, demonstrating change in attitudes, behaviors, values and outcomes. Measuring and reporting benefits achieved.
- Value to institutional priorities and stakeholders. Institutional context/support; transformation, impact and return on investment achieved (realised or expected)
- Delivery of innovation, transformation or positive change through groundbreaking digital technologies, services, or partnerships.
- Sustainability and scalability of activity that demonstrates positive environmental and financial impact for the long-term.
- A Model that is motivating, inspiring or being adopted by others.
How to enter
Applications for the 2024 UCISA Awards are now being accepted. Before you enter, here are some things to consider, to assist in preparing the application.
- Select the most relevant Award category for the activity/initiative
- Ensure the conditions of entry/eligibility requirements (below) have been met
- Read through and make sure you understand the selection criteria. The judging panel will use these criteria to determine eligibility and assess the application
- Complete the online UCISA Award Entry form.
- Email any supporting documentation to email@example.com
- Applications close 17:00 Friday 08 December 2023
Finalists are recognised and category recipients announced at the annual UCISA24 Leadership Conference, taking place Wednesday 13 – Friday 16 March 2024 at the EICC in Edinburgh.
Conditions of entry
- Applications are open to all current UCISA member organisations/staff working in or supporting technology.
- For the UCISA2024 awards, the leadership or activity on which the submission is based must have been performed between 1st January 2022 and 31st December 2023 (thereafter the preceding calendar year will apply).
- The individual leading the activity/initiative must be from a recognised team and a current employee of a UCISA member organisation during the calendar year subject to the awards.
- Nominations for the outstanding corporate member must come from a UCISA institutional or affiliate member.
- Collaborative entries between institutions are welcomed, however a lead institution must be identified and make the submission.
- Applicants must meet eligibility criteria.
- You may make a submission as an individual or on behalf of a team. You may also nominate other individuals or teams.
- A UCISA Award entry form needs to be completed and as part of the submission process.
- The initiative or activity may be entered in one Award Category only (although a CIO/Director of the Year Rising Star nominee may also be part of a team nomination)
- The summary statement must not exceed more than 2000 words.
- The award entry will need to be endorsed by the organisation’s senior IT leader or signed for on their behalf.
- All applications must be submitted via the online form by 17:00, Friday 08 December 2023.
- UCISA may request a project demonstration webinar to the sector with any category nominees. This session may be recorded.
- All finalists may be requested to attend an interview with a UCISA representative, prior to the announcement of each award recipient. This session may be recorded.
- All finalists may be asked to give a speech at the Awards dinner, taking place at the UCISA24 Leadership Conference between 13-15 March 2024.
- Shortlisted applicants will be asked to film a short video about their project (no longer than 2 minutes long), which will be shared with the UCISA community.
- By entering you acknowledge that photographers may attend UCISA events, and the images of participants may be used on the UCISA website or within event marketing material. If you do not wish to be photographed, please advise the photographer at the time.
Applications for the UCISA Awards 2024 will close at 17:00 on Friday 08 December 2023.